During deep sleep, which is at least 60 to 70 percent of the total sleep time, the mind is resting and unengaged with the surroundings and is more restorative and better for the overall health of the brain, in addition to improving memory and learning.
The famous quote of Benjamin Franklin “Early to bed Early to Rise” has always been my father’s way of getting me up when I was a child.
The earlier you awaken in the morning the better prepared you are for your day. Adults should get 7 to 9 hours of deep sleep per night, which means an average of 6.5 to 7 hours of nap. When you are asleep your brain shows different types of brain activity.
Facts You Didn’t Know About Your Sleep:
- Long sleepers typically fall asleep in a similar pattern: nod, yawn, then nap.
- Every time they roll over, you get in the exact same position, no matter how far apart your arms are.
Difference between a light and a deep sleep
How long are you sleeping? If you’re an insomniac or never get a full eight hours of catnap, you may be wondering when exactly you should be waking up. While there’s no definitive answer, here’s a breakdown of the differences between deep and light sleep:
Deep vs. Light
As per expert , Deep is when your body has slowed down to such an extent that the brain and organs are more active than during the rest of the day. This type of snooze is meant to be uninterrupted because it allows the body to rest.
“The brain needs to rest,” expert said. “Your brain’s machinery is in a state of sleep. If you suddenly stop doing whatever you were doing to go to doze , your brain wakes up.”
“Light happens when you’re in a meditative state,”. “Your brain waves are slowing down and your breathing is slow and deep.”
That’s not to say that the brain is fully active during deep though. The brain never fully rests when you fall asleep since the neurons responsible for alertness are not firing.
Light nap is link to memory consolidation issues. If you wake up before you’ve actually completed dreaming, you may be less likely to remember the story that you were hearing in your dream.
What causes the differences?
Two factors may cause people to experience light or deep nap differently. The first is genetics. Some people are more likely to experience light nap, while others are more likely to experience deep sleep.
The second is simply age. As people get older, they sleep less. Eventually, after the body adjusts to nocturnal sleep, the brain begins to sleep less deeply and the person does not wake up.
So sleep experts often say that older people should strive to sleep more deeply, while younger people can push themselves to have longer REM ( Rapid Eye Movement)sleep.
Side effect of nap deprivation
- Effects of sleeping deprivation may include short attention span, fatigue, decrease in cognition and mental health, inattentiveness, and moodiness.
- Children with sleep deprivation are at increased risk of obesity, hyperactivity, and decreased IQ
- According to a report published by the NIH in 2016, sleep can predict the risk of heart attacks or strokes. They tracked down 704 volunteers who suffered from a heart attack to assess their sleep quality. They found that those who slept less than six hours per night were more likely to have a heart attack and those who slept less than three hours a night had a 60%
5 Simple steps for good rest
- Encourage sleep.
- You should also keep a strict routine in you sleeping habits, whether that’s by working on a consistent schedule or setting out bedtime reminders. Those with healthy bedtime habits at night are able to have a high quality of life and less mental health issues.
- Avoiding food and caffeine a few hours before nap can also help.
- Turn off cell phones and computers at least two hours before bedtime.
- Before bedtime, dim the lights. Researchers have found that lights make falling asleep easier.
Although good rest may be more difficult to gain than to achieve, you have control over your child’s quality of sleep. With some parental attention, your child’s bed time routine, and good habits, getting good sleep may just be as easy as trying to stay awake! What say? Do you like my blog? Try this one